Fixing a 'Broken' Metabolism
You've heard people your entire life saying things like, "I just don't have the Metabolism that I used to" or "He can eat anything he wants and doesn't gain a pound." Metabolism, in the sense of body composition, is kind of tricky. But, here’s the deal, most people’s metabolic processes can be altered to allow you to eat a lot of food and still reach your goals. The main problem lies in the fact that we have been fed low calorie, fad diets for years and it has literally killed our metabolism.
We get people in my training and coaching business all the time saying "I eat 1200 calories a day and I'm not loosing any weight." Within 2 months, I have them eating around 2500 calories, DOUBLE what they came to me on initially, and they are losing body fat. How is this possible? It comes down to a dozen different chemical processes that are going on in our body and if we choose the right kinds of foods at the right ratios, magic happens.
Here is the fix....
1. Find your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) - This means finding out exactly how many calories you burn in a day. For example, a 185-pound male who works an active job and does resistance training 5 days a week expends around 3000 calories a day.
2. Work up to eating your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This can take time and we recommend that you only increase by 150 to 200 calories per week. This may seem scary to some people and they may feel that they are going to gain weight, but if it is done correctly there is usually very little to no weight gain.
3. Systematically decrease your eating by 10-15% for no more than 6 weeks. We recommend to clients to cut back on carbohydrates and fat but keep your protein the same during these 6 weeks.
4. Eat primarily whole foods. Try very hard to stay away from processed foods as these have shown to slow progress.
5. After 6 weeks of cutting food, go back to eating your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This will help your body get back to burning massive amounts of calories.
Honestly, this process is simple but it works like magic. When we eat the right food in the right amounts, our body’s chemical processes can speed up. It is important to remember that getting healthy and reaching our goals takes time! We never try to speed up the process of body composition with our clients because we know that it will kill their metabolism.
As always, if you need any help or have any questions please let us know by contacting us through the link below.
By Tyler Martin and Prevail Coaching