At one time or another we have all heard or said ourselves say that “ I want to eat right , but I just don’t have time” or “ I want to exercise, but I don’t have the time”. The key phrase being “I don’t have time”. In today’s society we are constantly bombarded by the chaos of life, especially in regards to work and responsibilities. In the last decade, average working times have increased by over 20% with 75% of people working more than 40 hrs each week; leisure time has decreased by over 32%.
Often times, after work, we are drained and exhausted and come home to yet more responsibilities- caring for family, animals, maintaining the home, etc. Not to mention attempting to get in that recommended 7-8 hours of sleep which most of today’s society does not get. Where does that leave the time to exercise and eat right?
Dr.Mike Evans posted a video on youtube called “23 ½ hours” in which he stated all you need is 30 minutes a day of exercise to reap it’s health benefits; that’s equivalent to only 2% of your day, leaving you with 23 ½ hours -98% of your day- left to do everything else you have to do. When you look at it that way, it puts it into a whole new perspective. Sounds more realistic and possible- doesn’t it? Exercise 30 minutes a day as a starting point- it can be all at once or broken up into smaller sessions if needed as well; do what will work best with your schedule!
Exercise comes in various forms as well. It does not need to be in a gym or formal setting. Some simple ways to add exercise into your day include: taking the stairs instead of the elevator, parking at the end of the parking lot instead of closest to the door, take mini breaks throughout the course of your day to walk or do push ups/squats/ jumping jacks- anything to get you moving. Choose an exercise form that motivates you and that you enjoy so you will be more likely to participate and continue with it daily.
Okay, so now you managed to fit 30 minutes a day of exercise, but as they say “abs are made in the kitchen and you can’t out-train a bad diet”. How can I manage to make and eat healthy meals? Meal prep!
Meal prepping involves planning and preparing ones meals for the week. On average, depending upon what you choose to make, meal prepping will take approx 2-3 hours which can be done 1-2 days a week. You’re already cooking and making a mess of the kitchen- why not get it, all done in one shot!? It will beat having to prepare meals daily which will take an hour + by time you prep, cook, and clean up each time. Meal prepping has been a savior for many as it saves time and headaches especially with a hectic schedule. Having everything readily accessible to just take out of the refrigerator, heat up (if needed) and eat, keeps one from snacking and choosing unhealthy options.
Unable to cook? When eating out, use your best judgment to choose healthy food options such as salads, vegetables, chicken, fish, or lean beef that are baked, grilled, boiled, broiled, roasted or lightly sautéed. Try to avoid foods that are fried or have heavy sauces, gravies, cheeses and additives.
Exercise and eating habits are ultimately related to a lifestyle change. It must be of priority and importance to you in order to make time to fit it in your schedule and make it a part of your daily routine. Planning ahead and managing time will allow one to be successful. How one incorporates exercise and eating into their life will vary person to person as each individual’s circumstances are different. Just remember in the long run the best investment is in your health- by eating right and exercising you will reduce of risk of various diseases/ illness so you may live a longer, healthier life.
Total success. Stress management training, available at http://www.tsuccess.dircon.co.uk/stress mamangement.html.
EVANS, MIKE. "23 and 1/2 Hours: What Is the Single Best Thing We Can Do for Our Health?" Docmikeevans. Michael Evans and Mercury Films Inc., 2011. Web. 29 Oct. 2015.